N e w s & E v e n t s
€2000 for the most fabulous takeaway dish!
The Scholarship contest – Spring 2021 is now open!!!
Blame it on COVID-19, but the lockdowns and restrictions fueled our appetite for takeaways. Did we prefer going out and eating in restaurants and bistros?! In a different era, we did, and it was not only the food, but the socializing, slow eating and spending time with family and friends, but apparently not it the past months.
Restaurants all over the world were forced to close and social distance and the only option left for many of them was to offer deliveries. This includes fine dining establishments and hotel restaurants who, under normal circumstances, would not offer takeaway or delivery. It is a big challenge for the industry and now it is a challenge for you, as well!
Impress us with a recipe and a mood board dedicated to the best takeaway dish you can think of!
We have prepared a yummy well-seasoned check of €2000 for the winner!
Let`s get started! Roll up your sleeves!
Imagine, the fine dining restaurants with their amazing. colorful, artistic plates; it is a challenge to pack such a masterpiece in a box and make it taste fantastic, look fantastic, and reaches the hungry client on time, in all its glory…it isn`t an easy task, right?!
Your task is to come up with the most amazing dish, you can imagine, and recreate the recipe to fit all the requirements for a takeaway dish…and no, pizza is not what we are looking for! Maybe, you will find Chef Henri Donneaux inspiring on this video 😉
Please submit your application no later than March, 1, 2021 13:00 o’clock.
The application consists of 2 parts:
- Part 1 – Recipe:
You need to develop a recipe worthy of a high-end restaurant, but still suitable for delivery; one that can be thoroughly enjoyed in a home setting.
- Considers the fact, that it is a takeaway meal!
- Think about the temperatures and textures! Some foods will continue to cook even after they leave the restaurant. For example, if you put a hot steak, right off the grill, in a closed container, its internal temperature may continue to rise while in transit. This may change the steak doneness level or texture and the customer will get a different steak than desired. Or if you want to preserve a crispy exterior on a turkey or roast, how and when will you package it?! What would you do to keep the consistency of the dish? What textures will you use?Will it be easy to reheat? Is it meant to be eaten at the same time/day or to be stored? You better create a fool-proofed recipe!
- Consider the prep time. Will it require extensive prep time on top of delivery time?! Simply show us how you plan to approach the cooking process.
- Psst, don`t forget the taste and flavor! Even though, we cannot taste it, we do know, what is essential for a good recipe.
It is obvious that not every dish is delivery friendly. The poached eggs, for example, are so trendy and the cooking shows are asking every single participant to prepare them. Moreover, if you make them to surprise your significant other for breakfast, you are the best and we already like you, BUT if you order them, by the time they get delivered …you might probably get cold, rubbery, dry, smelly eggs…therefore be careful what you choose and what you are delivering to our doorsteps, because our €2000 check is amazing, fresh out the oven and smells GOOD!
Ah, and don`t forget, we do know other languages, but please submit your entry in English.😉
Part 2 – Mood board:
Consider it your chance to show us, what`s on your mind. The mood board; inspiration board; story board, call it as you please, is simply a collage of ideas. Thrust us, it is better and way more fun, than writing an essay. Traditionally, in such competitions, you are asked to explain your concept in words and then you rely on our vivid imaginations, BUT we would prefer to see a visual presentation of your concept.
You don`t need to be a tech savvy or a designer, you just need to have a clear concept and present it with few images, that will reveal the idea behind your dish and convince us, that you are the one!
The simple steps below will help you, and it is entirely up to you to pick the format of your board, as long as it is digital, and you can easily send/share it via e-mail:
- Carefully select the direction of your project. Clear concept is the key!
- Collect/create visual materials (the more, the better 😉) and try to have more of your own materials, rather than what you find online. The main goal here is to present your own, unique concept. Do not forget it!
- Add inspiring imagery, add some color, even sound and smell (if you can 😉), go crazy! Use anything you want, just make us feel like we’ve tasted your dish. Your goal here is to engage us in your project, show us every aspect of it, make us understand!
- Start messy but get it organized at the end. Your final piece must be clear and powerful.
- Add explanations if needed. But try to keep it simple.
Easy, right? 😉
How to join the competition?!
- Please, send your materials to email@example.com, if your files are too big, feel free to use any file transfer service convenient to you (for example – dropbox, google drive, wetransfer.com). IMPORTANT: in case you are using google – please make sure that you have shared the link with firstname.lastname@example.org, otherwise we get locked links and we have troubles viewing them on time which might result on you missing the deadline.
- The deadline for sending your application is March, 1, 2021, 13 o’clockand the results will be announced after the opening of the new semester!
Please note that this scholarship is open to all students who are currently enrolled in a Culinary Arts course for the academic year that begins in March, 2021. That means that if you are not among those you need to submit your application for the Culinary Arts degree program as well, otherwise you risk missing the deadline for enrollment and respectively the chance to take advantage of the scholarship, as it can be granted to accepted students only. If you have not applied yet, you can do it here.
Good luck! May the culinary force be with you!
see all news